Home buying can be a frustrating experience, but choosing a competent real estate agent to guide you through theprocess will likely save you time and money. Here are some tips to avoid costly mistakes.
- Get pre-approved BEFORE you start your home search. Pre-approval will give you a realistic price point when viewing potential homes and puts you in a better position to make a serious offer.
- Research the neighborhood. Learn about crime statistics, schools and amenities within your potential town.
- Look beyond the décor. Focus on the structure itself, square footage and layout. Look beyond the taste of the current homeowner, and remember you are buying the actual house.
- Never skip the inspection. Your home is likely the biggest investment you will ever make, a home inspection is necessary to ensure it is a sound structure or at the very least, make you aware of any defects.
- Give yourself an out. Make sure there are contingencies (such as financing or inspection) in the contract so you can back out of the deal and recoup your deposit.
- Don’t buy the most expensive house on the block. The lower home values around your property will negatively affect your property's value.
- Keep resale value in mind. It may be difficult to envision selling a home that you have yet to live in, but remember to consider long-term property value, location and overall mass appeal, when viewing a potential home.
And remember to call our offices today so that one of our knowledgeable sales professionals can help guide you through your home buying experience.